Thoreau Society members represent a broad range of professions, interests, and hometowns across the United States and around the world. They are connected by the conviction that Thoreau had important things to say and crucial questions to ask that are just as significant now as in Thoreau’s lifetime.
Becoming a member helps fund the Thoreau Society and its mission to educate people about the life, works, and legacy of Henry David Thoreau, challenging all to live a deliberate, considered life. Membership includes a subscription to the Thoreau Society Bulletin and The Concord Saunterer: A Journal of Thoreau Studies.
Benefits of Basic Membership
- FREE Subscription ($35 value) to the Thoreau Society Bulletin (quarterly news, bibliography, notes & queries)
- FREE Subscription ($35 value) to The Concord Saunterer: A Journal of Thoreau Studies (annual journal)
- Member rates on educational programs
- Advance notice on special events
- Opportunity to support Our Mission.
- 10% off on most Shop at Walden Pond purchases (in-store or online).
Membership in the Society is open to everyone.
Our members come from all walks of life and include serious scholars to people looking to express or share their enthusiasm for Thoreau with others. The Society has members in every state and at least 20 countries around the world. Interest in Thoreau is growing, as the prophet of Walden is increasingly sought out for his social justice philosophy, artistry of his prose, and his prescient writing and insight into many of the dilemmas confronting us in the 21st century. Above all, Thoreau Society members appreciate that he inspires and helps us to appreciate the things that are to be most treasured.